Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Transferring Images and Words to a Wood Surface



Making personalized signs are my obsession right now. My handwriting is not the best so any help I can get is great. Sometimes I free hand and paint the words myself but this is my full proof way to get an exact image onto another surface. You can use this method on wood, plastic, canvas, paper, and more! Basically any surface that graphite paper can transfer to. If you can trace an outline, you can do this. I use this method on almost all of the signs that I do. I'm making this wood mermaid sign out of an old table for my patio. (Mermaids, my other obsession) :) Hope you enjoy and learn something new! Thanks for stopping by. 


Start off by using Word and type out what you want your sign to say, using the font of your choice.  Make sure to make the font the proper size to fit your sign. I find that bigger, block letters are easier to go back and paint in than I thinner, smaller font. 


Print.


This is the graphite paper I use. You can use the same little piece of this paper so many times for different projects. I buy it at Micheal's.  


Cut your image out and tape it on the left side edge of the paper.  Place your graphite paper under your image with the darkest side of the paper facing down. You can use a pencil or a pen to trace your image. Trace away! No need to press down hard either, this graphite paper is very pigmented. 

Bam! Got your words or image transferred perfectly to your surface. Paint or use a paint marker to fill in your image or words and you got yourself a personalized sign.



No comments:

Post a Comment